How I Take Blog Photos

Friday, March 18, 2016


One thing I love about blogging is taking and editing photos for my posts. Over the past year I have seen a huge improvement of my blog photos, so I decided to share how I take and edit them with you.

Step 1 - Take the photo! I take photos on my iPhone 6S. I do this simply because I find it easier, and because I also edit the photos on my phone. I take many different versions of the same photo, using different angles and props, so that I have many photos choose from.


Step 2 - Edit!  After choosing the bottom one of those four photos (there were many others that didn't take the cut too!), I need to edit the photo. The first way I do this is with the iPhone photo editor. I don't know many people who use this but I find it really useful and better than most apps from the store. It is built into the iPhone - you find it inside the photos app.
I first of all apply the 'fade' filter, and then go into the light & colour options and edit things such as brightness, contrast, highlights and shadows until I'm happy with how they look.
 Step 3 - Snapseed: I then use Snapseed, an app I am currently obsessed with! I use this app to make my background look really white - which by the way, my background for all my product photos is just an piece of A3 white paper!
I go into the selective option and brighten up the white background. I also add contrast to some of the products, or turn the brightness down on them so they stand out. This app didn't take me too long to figure out (although was a little confusing at first) and it makes a huge difference to the brightness of my photo.

If I am using the photo as a header for my post, I then will go onto the app Phonto to add some text to it. Fonts I love to use include Market Deco and Sweet Pea. Then I am done!


 I would love to hear the apps you use to edit your photos in the comments below!


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I loved this post, it was really helpful! I use the Picmonkey.com xx
    www.blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using Picmonkey on the computer for making thigns like blog headers! Thanks for reading Laura x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One day I would love to use photoshop, I just find it really confusing at the moment compared to my phone! x

      Delete
  3. Wow you made such a difference to that photo! I would never think of using the built in photo editor, I just use pic monkey alongside ever other blogger x

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love using picmonkey on the computer! x

      Delete
  4. Super great post! I take my photos on my 6s too, I think it's a great camera. I actually use snapseed to do all of my photo editing on, it's so good!
    Grace xx
    http://gracexkate.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I was visiting your blog and reading some posts I kept thinking how good your pictures were, so I'm glad I found this post. Now I can learn all your 'secrets' and improve the quality of my pictures as well ;)

    Marti | paperplanepond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an iPhone so I won't be able to follow your editing process step by step, but I'll try to focus on the same main points when editing mine. I found the Snapseed part really interesting, because I always have problems when trying to make white backgrounds whiter without making the items in the picture look weird.

      Thanks again!
      Marti xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Snapseed is available on Android phones too if that's what you have, and it was completely transformed my photos! I'm so glad that you like them :) x

      Delete