A few blog photography tips

Thursday, July 14, 2016

A few months back I posted an in depth How I Edit My Blog Photos post which proved to be popular. Therefore I decided to write a follow up to that post, but instead of a step by step guide of how I edit photos I thought I would share a few tips I've learnt through my blogging journey!

Background: Something that has changed over time on my blog is the backgrounds I use for my photos. I now favour the popular marbled background on my photos - the best thing is it's completely free. I googled marble background, found one I liked on Google images and printed off a couple of sheets. It was so quick and easy!

Use Natural Lighting: You have probably heard this tip on every single photography post, but there's a reason why it's here. Here's some photos I took - one by a window, one in a darker spot in my room, and one with a light on. I edited them all the exact same way. Which is your favourite?


Edit, but don't over edit: It's probable that you will want to edit your photo after you've taken it, but don't overdo it. I swear by Snapseed for my editing now - I use the selective tool to alter the brightness, contrast and saturation of certain areas and I'm done!

Blu-Tak: In flatlays, blu-tak is an essential to have handy. Need to stop a lipstick from rolling away? Grab a little bit of blu-tak and stick the lipstick to your background - it works wonders!

Props: Props such as jewellery, magazines and different fabrics help to eliminate blank spaces in your photos and really bring them to live. I have used a few cheap rings I own in several blog photos and always have them near my setup so I can use them if need be. They fill up the space and look pretty - win win!


Do you have any blog photography tips?

 


You Might Also Like

34 comments

  1. amazing tips! x

    http://beauty-voguex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You're so welcome, I hope you found them useful! x

      Delete
  3. Nice post! I love the idea of printing off pictures of marble background, I think I might experiment with that.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love how it looks in photos and no one can tell I printed it off! x

      Delete
  4. I'd never thought to use blu-tack before, such a good idea! Great post :)

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's an essential to have by my photo set up now! x

      Delete
  5. Great tips! I didn't even think to print out a marble background!

    Nicole | In The Life of NM // Enter My Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a brainwave one day and my photos have never looked better! x

      Delete
  6. These are all great tips! Blu tak is a lifesaver for blog photography! I don't know what I would do without it!!! Xxx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue tac tip is so helpful for flatlays! Helps all those lipsticks stop rolling straight off the table hehe x
    Morgan | www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the blu tac tip and the over editing which is definitely something I have done before! xx
    blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make my photos way too bright!x

      Delete
  9. These are such great tips Erin! :D I really like the tip about the backgrounds because for some reason it has never occurred to me to print out cute backgrounds! I was actually surprised when you mentioned that because I always assume everyone just has these beautiful backgrounds laying around their house haha but now I know! :D So I will definitely be using that tip! I also do prefer the natural lighting pic, you can never go wrong with natural lighting ;) Unless it's having an off day haha. Love the post! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so easy so I don't know why more people don't think about doing it! My house has no lovely flatlay background so I just created my own! x

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the tips :D I've followed your blog, hope that you check mine...
    Mia x | https://my-world-vibes.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love using a white plain background with all the focus to be on the products but I really like the marble in your photos and had no idea you just printed them off! Such great tips :)
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use a white plain background for a long time and I love how that looks too! Thank you x

      Delete
  12. I love this post, I never thought of printing off the backgrounds, marble is great! I use blutack, it's so handy!
    Chloe xx
    thoughtfulclouds.blogspot.com
    have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one can ever tell my marble is just a print out! x

      Delete
  13. Hello, this is wonderfully useful, thank you !

    Elizabethmariagoodrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it helpful! x

      Delete
  14. Thanks Erin for these tips! Natural light and a bit of edit is the key for me :) xx

    _Aishettina_

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this post! Natural lighting is always the best and I use the same background as you, it's so affordable and so effective!
    Grace xx
    http://gracexkate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks lovely on photos! Natural lighting also makes an amazing difference x

      Delete
  16. I love these posts so much!!! Props are really something I need to learn to accessorise with - an extended post on that, perhaps? Great tips, Lily x

    meetmeinmelford.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Of course, thank you for the idea! x

      Delete
  17. Need to try that print off marble trick! I like to get wallpaper samples from Homebase of wood etc!! Lydia Eve | www.lydia-eve.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Lydia, it's so effective! I should check out Homebase then, that could come in handy! x

      Delete