A Peek Into My Art Exam Sketchbook...

Monday, April 24, 2017

art sketchbook tour everything erin

Lately, I have been busy preparing for my GCSE Art exam, which actually begins today! I have ten hours of work ahead of me now and decided I would share some of my preparation with you. I have never shared any of my art on my blog but today I decided to branch out a bit and share some and if you enjoy please let me know!

The exam board our school is on for art is AQA and therefore I had to choose from one of their seven topics - I chose detail.

art sketchbook tour everything erin
art sketchbook tour everything erin

I began with a research page all about details everywhere in life - from fashion, architecture, nature and the face. I followed on from this deciding to study further into details of the face - particularly the eye.

I then studied a couple of artists - one who works in coloured pencil and one who works in graphite, my two favourite media to work with. You'll notice that after this point that I got really into my splattered backgrounds!

art sketchbook tour everything erin
art sketchbook tour everything erin

I then took photography as research, including my own eye with different makeup styles on it to show the effects of makeup. art sketchbook tour everything erin
Then came the more creative side of the sketchbook, my observations and testers! I tested different media from pencil and graphite to things like oil pastel and watercolour. I decided to stick with graphite because that helped to show details best.

art sketchbook tour everything erin
One of my favourite pages is where I compared different colours of eyes! I was really pleased with how it turned out. Then for my alternative idea, I studied lips instead of eyes because they are still an interesting facial feature yet different. I enjoyed using lipstick to create the texture of the lips but I find lips a lot trickier than eyes!

art sketchbook tour everything erin
art sketchbook tour everything erin

I then chose a focus for my final piece. I decided to look at how the details of the eyes change throughout someone's life and chose for this the Queen because her whole life has been documented in photos. I explained why I chose her and the meaning for the background, and then practised the four eyes I would use on my final piece - at the ages of one, twenty-seven, fifty and ninety.

art sketchbook tour everything erin

My sketchbook finishes off with a plan for the ten hours of the exam (which it will be a miracle if I stick to) and an evaluation of all my work. Hopefully it will go well!

art sketchbook tour everything erin
art sketchbook tour everything erin

I'd love to hear your tips for art because I am always looking to improve! I am also planning on studying Fine Art at A-Level next year so let me know if you have any tips for that!

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I loved this, Erin! You're so so talented and your project on studying the Queen's eyes as she ages is so unique and interesting - hope your Art exam went well

    Dalal // monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy you found it interesting! It did thanks x

      Delete
  2. This was so interesting - you're so talented at art and have some great ideas! I'm not doing art (luckily for everybody) but I am doing photography and we haven't been told much about our exams so this was useful to see from your view. Definitely inspired me, well done! xo
    ellieslittleeworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that means a lot! A lot of my friends take photography and there seems to be quite an artistic element to it so I'm glad you found my post helpful x

      Delete
  3. I always find it interesting to see how other places grade Art and Design stuff, this is so completely different to how they do it in New Zealand. Your work is so good though, good luck!
    Kathy x
    Alongcamekathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'd love to hear how New Zealand do it! Thank you! x

      Delete
  4. I love looking at others sketchbooks, I'm currently studying a level photography and know how much work doing a sketchbook is!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot isn't it! I'm taking fine art next year and feel like it will be even more work then! x

      Delete
  5. This is amazing Erin! Keep it up you're so good :)

    www.lilymyaxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lily, means so much! :)) x

      Delete
  6. This is so creative and unique! Just from the amount of research and preparation you've done, it seems that your final piece will end up looking amazing!

    abi | http://fruitofdelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find these types of posts so interesting! I'm not taking Art for GCSE but I'm in love with all your drawings and pages xx

    Morgan // www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish there was more artsy posts out there because I love reading them too and I'm so happy you enjoyed mine! x

      Delete