Top Tips For Blogging Newbies

Saturday, July 22, 2017


So, you want to start a blog? I can tell you now it will be one of the best decisions you've ever made. However it can seem daunting at first, so today I compiled a few tips that I wish I knew when I started blogging to help you out.

Write What You Want To Write About

You don't need a specific niche; personally I write predominately about beauty but like to throw some music or fashion posts in from time to time and don't really feel like my blog has a niche. But have a general idea of what you want your blog to focus on. Write down some ideas and take inspiration from blogs you like to read now, but make sure not to copy. You may find some blog post ideas lists like my own which can be useful.

Fancy Equipment Isn't Necessary

Sure, you see some bloggers with DSLR's and that's great for them and if you have one lying around, that's great for you too. But guess what, you don't need to have a fancy camera and tripod to be a blogger. I've been taking photos on my phone since I started three years ago and my iPhone 6S serves me well in taking blog photos. No fancy editing like photoshop is required either, if you're looking for a free editing app Snapseed is your go to.


Choose A Suitable Theme

Looking back at old screenshots of my blog very early on makes me cringe because of how awful and inaccessible my theme was. Like the equipment, I'm not saying you have to fork out loads for a good theme - yes, there are some beautiful themes at places like Pipdig if you are willing to spend a lot but if you google free themes there are plenty that in my opinion work just as well. Mine is from ThemeXpose I think and they have some of the nicest free themes out there.

Interact With Other Bloggers

You may have the best blog posts in the world, but if you don't get your name out there, no one will even know they're there. It is so important to set up Twitter and Instagram accounts dedicated to your blog and get chatting to other bloggers. Twitter chats are one of the best ways to do this, there are so many like #thegirlgang, you could even try hosting one if you feel confident enough and you will get to know so many like minded bloggers. Twitter changed the blogging game for me and it is a vital part of blogging.

Be Willing To Put In Time

Not only be willing to put in time to actually produce your posts, since writing and taking photographs can take a while sometimes, but realise you are never going to earn a thousand followers over night. Building a blog following will take time and patience, and it's something you have to be willing to stick with.


But after you've put in your time, I promise you it will be worth it! I feel like I could go on all day with tips for starting a blog so let me know if you'd like a part two, or if you have any questions you may ask away at my Twitter @everythingxerin or in the comments! Ooh and if you do start a blog, let me know because I love discovering new blogs!

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Great tips! Thanks for posting. I'm a new beauty blogger but previously had a book blog. Patience and getting yourself out there is so important to starting a blog. Http://www.mrsqbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with starting your beauty blog! I agree x

      Delete
  2. These tips are so helpful and spot on! I think a lot of newbies are afraid to comment and chat. It's really important to grow into the community, love what you do and give your all. There are no shortcuts! xx Nikita

    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I know I was in the beginning but it's so important and I started enjoying blogging so much more when I got more involved! x

      Delete
  3. I agree that making a blog was one of the best decisions I've made!! I wish I'd seen posts like this when I started, it would've made things so much easier!!
    Liv x
    livwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!! I know, I didn't have a clue what I was doing! x

      Delete
  4. This is such a great post! I wish there was a post like this when I first started my blog. There is so much pressure when you start your blog to meet a certain aesthetic, but as long as you keep true to yourself, you're so much better off! xxx

    Melina | www.ivefoundwaldo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, I feel like I have created my own aesthetic as I've gone along and although it's so easy to compare yourself to other bloggers it's best to stay true to you! x

      Delete
  5. Time is definitely super important and yeah, agree with interacting as well!! Going to check this hastag out!

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete